Sunday, July 10, 2011

It has been too long

I started this post last year when I retired to track my move/visit to Mexico, but have not posted in a long time because of pure laziness. So here is what has been going on over the past 6 months.

I was staying in my little casita (https://picasaweb.google.com/lkarelee/Casita) on Joan's estate, working at the local little theater in props and enjoying it when my house in Austin got robbed. I stayed on the phone for days, dealing with the police, insurance companies, neighbors, locksmiths, you name it. Then I broke out with SHINGLES - are you freaking kidding me - SHINGLES - ON MY FACE. (A very good dermatologist started appropriate treatment and I was fine after a few days.)

Next, the thieves started withdrawing money from my checking account and using my credit cards to run up huge bills at the mall. Apparently they were buying jewelry then taking it to the pawn shops. Of course, I wasn't responsible for the charges but it took many more hours on the phone to get it all straightened out. BTW - I highly recommend banking with a small, local bank (University Federal Credit Union in my case); because when the shit hits the fan, it is nice to be able to speak to a human being who can open new accounts, transfer money, etc.

Next, I returned to Austin at the end of November to find almost everything of value had been taken - including my jewelry, clothing, personal documents, blank checks, birth certificates, old passports - but they did leave my Fiesta Ware (idiots - probably the most valuable thing in the house)

So, long story short, I spent the next couple of months clearing out what was left of my house, found a renter, stored everything I couldn't pawn off on my family, traded my Prius for a Honda CRV, and returned to Mexico. I now live here

https://picasaweb.google.com/lkarelee/NewHouse

No comments:

Post a Comment