Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Help

One of the many things I love about living in Mexico is having a maid twice a week....I really shouldn't call her a maid, she is more accurately a housekeeper. She is very young, around 24, pretty, works hard, is always on time, and cleans the house exactly as I told her I wanted it - all for around $30 USD a week.

One of the things I like least about living in Mexico is having a maid twice a week....I mean someone in your house for 8 hours, working up a sweat to clean up your crap, while you try and find somewhere to sit quietly and not get in the way - it's all very tiresome. Don't get me wrong - I like having someone clean my house and all the "Gringos" have housekeepers, usually 5 days a week, it's what we do down here. I mean really....what can they possible find to do 5 days a week. The owner of my house had 2 women 3 times a week!! When I cleaned my own house - it was only on Saturday for around 4 hours and when I hired someone regularly it was once a MONTH.

The other thing that drives me crazy is that you are not suppose to get too involved with your housekeeper and their families...there is, of course, the language barrier and that makes it difficult to talk about anything complicated.

One of my friends' maid came to her the other day wailing about her young daughters 'heart' condition and fearing the child would be dead before she got home that evening. My friend volunteered to take the little girl to a cardiologist and the mother wept with gratitude. My friend made the appointment and went to pick up the little girl and her mother - she saw the girl running merrily up and down the street with all her little friends and the mother sitting outside shelling peas. "Oh she much better today Senora"..end of my friends misplaced charity.

A very wise woman who has lived her for 10 years told me once "Mexican don't need any more friends, they have all they want with their families."

No comments:

Post a Comment