Friday, July 29, 2011

Typhoid - Running Amok

Who knew people still get typhoid - it is running rampant among the Gringo community down here. Probably due to all the heavy rain and contamination of the water supply. I switched to only drinking bottled water (even brushing my teeth with it) a few weeks ago but it didn't help - I have Typhoid.

I can see why it was such a feared disease in the past - you get very, very sick - you can't keep anything down, you run a fever and generally just feel awful.

I was suppose to house sit last night for a friend who went into the hospital...but the best I could manage was just checking in on her dogs and feeding them. Otherwise, I just came home and crawled into bed. What miserable night. Today, I'm feeling somewhat better, I stocked up on all the recommended medication - there is a one-dose pill you can take which I picked up too.

The only thing you need a prescription for down here are antibiotics and class 3 narcotics, so there is a lot of self-medicating. If the one-dose doesn't work, I'll have to go into the clinic for blood work. Whine................



1 comment:

  1. So sad to hear this! Will be thinking of you as you recover.....

    ReplyDelete