Tuesday, October 12, 2010

How to Kill a Scorpion

Scorpions are a fact of life here in Mexico - they hide in your laundry baskets, they lurke in closets, they sleep in your tennis shoes.

Well....I killed my first one today. I opened the front door and a big one came running into the house. IT WAS HUGE. it was so HUGE I could hear it running across the tile..although locals said it was really very small.. The trick to killing a scorpion is to make sure you stomp the tail first - if you stomp it on the head, the tail will whip up and sting your foot - if you happen to be wearing sandals - which is exactly what I was wearing. And then, you never, ever pick it up with a paper towel, it can still sting you even after it is dead. JEEZ these things are brutal.

So now if you are ever charged by a HUGE scorpion, you will know - STOMP the tail!! And screaming helps too.

1 comment:

  1. When I open my front door, I'm hoping that it will be my neighbor Johnice, not a scorpion waiting to enter..........yikes, maybe you should keep a pair of boots handy to put on first.......

    ReplyDelete