Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cost of Living

I have been in Mexico for a couple of weeks now so I'm adjusting to the cost of living. My casita is $500 USD a month - this includes all my utilities. All inclusive rentals are rare - most homeowners who rent out their casitas only cover water.

I eat out for most meals - either in restaurants or at other peoples houses when I'm invited to parties or lunches. A restaurant lunch will run around $7.00 USD - but if you have seafood or steak - it can go up to around $12.00. A night out to a fancy restaurant with wine or drinks will cost you about $25 to $30. Prices here are reasonable - but costs can add up.

I have made a commitment to only eat out (where I actually pay) once a day, meaning I cook or make a sandwich here in my kitchen. Cooking is not really an option since I only have a 2-burner hotplate - but I do have a toaster oven and a small microwave. If you eat 'local' your food costs are much, much less. Imported American food is very expensive. A box of Ritz crackers will run you about $8.00 at a grocery store that caters to Americans and Canadians, but a box of Mexican crackers is about $1.00. Street food like roasted chickens, tortas, tacos, soups, etc. are very cheap; for about $2.00 you can eat a feast; add a beer for another $1.00 - best lunch you have ever had.

I drive a Prius so gasoline costs are not an issue - a gallon of Unleaded is about $2.10 - slightly less than the States. You can buy 10 black market movie CD's for a couple of dollars - the quality is not that good though. Clothes are really cheap - a embroidered shirt will cost you $8.00.

Since I visited here 6 years ago - a Walmart appeared - YUCK. It is very much like the Walmarts in the States - except there are relatively few things from China - most of the stuff is from either Mexico or the Philippines; Mexico has a long history of trade with the Philippines.

Overall, you can live comfortably here on $1,500 to $2,000 a month - that would include a small but comfortable house, good food, entertainment, some travel, and a maid and gardner...not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment