Friday, October 1, 2010

Federalies and Butterflies

We crossed safely into Mexico near Laredo - my friend Julie and I were caravanning for safety. Before we left, I bought a pair of cheap walkie-talkies - worked very well, we were able to keep in constant communication without using our cell phones.


Mexico is such a mixture of beauty and violence. Along the border we saw hundreds of Federalies - riding in the backs of pickup trucks, wearing ski masks and Kevlar - brandishing machine guns. They had several roadblocks you had to slow down for - they never stopped us - but they were very intimidating. At one stop - they had about 6 or 7 young guys lined up with their hands in the air - Julie said they probably would be shot before nightfall; I guess they have given up with due process - there are just too many gangs and cartel members - so they just shoot them.





We stopped in a tiny village that had reasonably clean rooms - I was traveling with my little Boston Terrier and Julie had two cats - so not many motels would take us. I only got a couple of hours of sleep - there was a tremendous thunderstorm all night long -quite a light show. Needless to say - between the storm and my fear of scorpions falling from the ceiling - I didn't get much sleep.



The next morning we were treated with a spectacular sunrise - but needed to get back on the road to stay on schedule. The rest of the drive was a blur of highways, toll booths, questionable bathrooms, and the most beautiful vista I have ever seen. You could travel for miles and miles without seeing any civilization; it reminded me of taking car trips in the 1950's. Mexico is really quite beautiful and empty.



Julie spotted an old woman along the road trying to hitch a ride and picked her up. Julie doesn't speak Spanish and the old lady didn't know a word of English. After a few hours, I saw Julie's van swerve off the road and stop. The old lady got out in the middle of nowhere - requested Julie give her some clothes for the winter (Julie had an old coat and gave it to her) and within 5 minutes a pickup truck comes roaring up and she hops in. WTF?? How did they know she was going to be there at that time? Jungle drums?

No comments:

Post a Comment