Friday, July 16, 2010

Selling Stuff

As I progress thru this 'winding down' process - I'm beginning to look at all my possessions and put a price tag on them. $700 for my scooter, $3000 for my RV, all of which translates into time I don’t have to work.

I have a real love/hate relationship with STUFF. I love shopping for it, researching it, comparing it, experimenting with it, negotiating the price, and then possessing it - for a brief time. There are very few of my possessions that I maintain any kind of loyalty to over the long-haul. My STUFF is a brief distraction. Had I not owned half of my distraction STUFF – I would be a whole lot better off financially.

As I sell STUFF, family members and friends often say "I thought you loved that _________!" "How can you sell it?" The truth is, I did love it, but once I own it, I'm over it. So now, I’m trying a new way of possessing STUFF – second-hand only. If I can find it at a garage sale or thrift store – I can buy it – if not…..too bad.

What a strange society we live in. You are judged by two things: physical appearance and how much STUFF you own. When I talk to people who already live in Mexico, they always comment on how much further their money goes because there are fewer opportunities to buy STUFF. I hope that is true – but how am I going to fill my time?

No comments:

Post a Comment