Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Friends and other Things We Leave Behind

I have never been a very social animal - I don't have a wide range of friends; I'm sort of a recluse. I don't 'cultivate' friends; I'm terrible about remembering birthdays, going to class reunions, attending weddings, cooing over baby pictures, showing up for showers, volunteering to feed the neighbors dogs, or watering their plants. It's not that I don't have the time or energy - I just don't make the effort. Consequently, my circle of friends has become very small.

When I move to Mexico I want to turn over a new leaf. I want to isolate less, socialize more, walk neighbors dogs and water their plants. I want to be the person they can depend on to bring a killer casserole to a pot-luck diner or help them with jump the dead battery on their car. I want to be the neighborhood gossip and the go-to person for picking out new drapes.

Retirement Isolation is a very seductive state - you can take naps, listen to books on your MP3 player, mentally balance your checking account, and day-dream. Socializing requries you to actually be present, not something I'm comfortable with.

I want to work at finding a balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment